Monday, January 15, 2024

The DYI Corner: Supercharging the Tecsun PL-380

Supercharging Tecsun PL-380 or how to breathe new life into a portable radio.

I found this radio in my storage-room, almost forgotten, it no longer has the shortwave stylus antenna and I also remember removing the internal ferrite with the remaining intention of using it in another project. So, after reading about the projects of Dx'er Gary DeBock, I took the decision to revive it, at least for medium waves. It was not complicated to carry out the project: I took a 16cm long ferrite with a 5mm diameter, put thin double-sided tape over it and wound it with 80 turns of 20x0.05 litz wire. I connected the wires to the radio's circuit board, where the internal ferrite wires were, and then placed it on a piece of ruler above the radio.

The little Tecsun is reborn and works excellently, if used in conjunction with an FSL antenna you can make very interesting listening.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My radio pennants